Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Why most of the Indian names are God's names??



Both of you are ‘you’ because of your respective fathers. Let me tell you about me. I am ‘Surya’ because of my mother. When I was in my stomach, sorry, my mother’s stomach, she saw super star Rajnikanth’s film Dalapathi. Rajnikanth’s name in that film is Surya. As your fathers had their respective influences, my mother had an influence of Rajnikanth’s character and instantly decided that the child’s name would be Surya if it was a boy.”


“That’s quite a story man!” exclaimed everyone.

“That’s only half the story.Did you forget my full name Surya Narayana Choudhary?”

“Teri maaki, then it is not even half the story. It’s just one third,” said Imran.

“Okay, one third as you said. Listen to the remaining two third. It’s quite interesting and you will know more about India. I too was thrilled when I came to know about it for the first time.”

“What else can we do? Continue it,” everyone responded in a chorus.

“My mom told her Akanksha i.e. desire,” saying this, he turned towards Akanksha, raising his eyebrows with pride that he has used her name in his talk and said, “my mom told her desire of naming me as Surya. But as you know, my dad always had plans for me. This time too, he had plans even though I didn’t enter the world then. The twist in the story is, the plans are not for me but for him. He wants to be out of the birth and death pain cycle.”

“Birth and death pain cycle, Oh God!” exclaimed everyone.

“Yeah, it is about God, as you said,” continued Surya, “according to Hinduism, there is a continuous chain of births and deaths that everyone has to go through. I don’t know the exact number, but to put it simply, our form changes many times like we change our clothes, but here, it is in a larger time-scale. There is nothing like eternal death. ‘For one who is born, death is certain, for one who dies, birth is certain,’ said Krishna to Arjuna in the Bhagawad Gita, as Arjuna was not willing to kill his own family members in the battle. The next life will be based on your present karma.If you like swimming a lot and swim most of the time, there are high chances that you become a fish in the next life. If you want to romance always, you will be born as a pigeon since it rarely does other work. If you have various interests, you will take the form which has the mixed effects of all the karmas. If you work very hard, you become a donkey. This is the way it goes. In the next life, as far as my prediction goes, Akanksha becomes a shopping mall owner. If you are like Imran, you will be born as a buffalo,” and as Imran started hitting him, he moved aside and said, “Buffalo, since buffalo always keeps eating something. Like this, you have to take some lakhs of births, birth after death and death after birth. One important thing one needs to keep in mind is that human life is obtained because of the noble deeds in the previous life and is the only chance to get out of this birth and death cycle.”

 “All this is a suffering, according to my dad and to get out of this chain of birth and death, there is only one remedy. Apart from Karma, the thing that is there in your mind during the last moment of your death is also very important. If you remember God, you will go to God and if you remember work, you will become a donkey. Now my father is aiming to get out of this chain and he wants to use me in the process. You might have seen in the old movies when the parent is about to die, he wants to see his son or daughter and, so, calls their name. In the same way, my father, when he is about to die, intends to call my name Narayana as Narayana is the name of God. In turn, God Narayana would think that he is calling Him, break his birth-death chain and take my dad with Him. This is my dad’s plan. For me to break the chain, I have to name my children after Gods or Goddesses. Had there been just one God, there might have been a confusion. So we have around 300 million Gods. That’s why almost all the Indian names are Gods’ names. Some of our elders go to the Himalayas and say Krishna or Rama for practicing this when they are about to die and thus break the chain. My grandmother is sure to break the chain since for every step she walks, she utters the word Krishna.”

“That’s quite a story man,” exclaimed everyone.

“Now I understood why your father calls you as Narayana, but your mother as Surya,” said Swetha lifting her eyebrows proudly. Imran said, “Teri maaki, tell me again that I become a buffalo.”

Swetha interrupted and said, “Imran, you need not worry. You are a Muslim and so this theory is not applicable for you.”

 A passage from the novel 'Unrecognised Potential'




No comments:

Post a Comment